As the title of this post states, I am writing this with a heavy heart. My Grandma Olson, who I also considered one of my close friends, passed away yesterday morning (September 29th). At least a month ago (maybe more...I can't remember exactly) she fell in her yard and broke her left wrist and right shoulder. Because of this she had to have surgery on both and spent some time in the hospital. Once she was well enough, they sent her to Manor Care in Waterloo to provide her with therapy and help her get around again.
Though she was improving and making progress with her therapy she decided at the beginning of last week that after dialysis on Monday she was not going back. I was informed through other family members that because of this decision she could live anywhere from two days to two weeks. But each person is different. Though I understood her decision, it didn't make it any easier knowing she would not be around for a lot longer. Mason and I decided to make an unexpected trip to Iowa on Friday, which also happened to be my golden birthday (28 on the 28th...yeesh..). Mason was a little bummed because he had other plans for my birthday, but he understood and was eager to see Grandma as well. We got up to Waterloo and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening hanging out with Grandma and several other family members. Even though that was not how I initially planned on spending my birthday, I consider myself very fortunate that I had that time with her. My mom and step-dad went to get pie from across the street (since it was a last minute decision to come up they didn't get a cake), and we had a small birthday celebration in my grandma's room. She even sang happy birthday to me! I can't remember the last time I spent my birthday with my family and it was wonderful!
Anyway, Eli started getting pretty cranky so we said our goodbyes and went back to JJ and Bailey's. The next morning we were in the process of getting ready to visit her again, but we got a call that she had a seizure during breakfast and was put on oxygen. About 5-10 minutes later we received another call that she had passed away. Unfortunately, my sister Laura had to witness it, but she was at least able to spend some time with Grandma before it happened. Those of us that were up at the nursing home said some prayers with the chaplain that was there and then we went back to my grandma's house. Though it was hard being in her house without her there, it was nice to reminisce and spend time together.
As you can imagine, it was pretty rough on everyone. But I'm incredibly thankful that Mason, Eli, and I were able to get there and spend some time with her before it happened. We're back in Missouri right now, but will be heading back up to Iowa again Tuesday evening for her funeral, which is supposed to be Wednesday. So I came home, did a super quick clean, unpacked our dirty clothes, did laundry, and am trying to prepare for the couple of days I will be at school, in addition to the days I won't be at school again. My mind has definitely been on my grandma this evening. It will be incredibly hard to say goodbye as she was my go-to person for everything. But I know she's in a better place and razzing everyone up in heaven! ; ) She will be missed immensely...

No comments:
Post a Comment